JOB GRADE: E2
Reference Number: 9993039
Applications are invited for the position of Company Secretary. Employees who meet the criteria as specified below and want to be considered for this position are encouraged to apply.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Perform the duties and responsibilities of Company Secretary as required by the Companies Act; and any other relevant legislation and regulation, ensuring that the Corporation complies with its statutory obligations. The incumbent also provides company secretarial service to Armscor, and the Board of Directors.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Provide specialist advice and guidance to Directors on all matters of governance, legality, risk, and compliance.
- Provide advisory services to clients on various issues with regards to Companies Act requirements and prevailing corporate governance and secretarial practices.
Compliance and Corporate Governance
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements and governance best practice.
- Provide interpretation of the Companies Act and related legislation for compliance purposes.
- Be responsible for maintenance of statutory records and registers.
- Be familiar with the governing instruments of the organisation and advise on them.
- Monitor the activities of Armscor to ensure that they act within their constitutions, standing orders and other regulatory requirements.
- Give guidance in the preparation of Annual Reports and statutory Returns.
- Prepare charters for Committees.
- Maintain a corporate governance policy for Directors.
- Provide first line/basic legal advice and liaise with Armscor Legal Services as required.
- In conjunction with the Chairperson of the Board, establish arrangements for evaluating effectiveness of the Board.
- Act as Budget holder for the Board.
Committee and Board Services
- To ensure the effective servicing of a number of Group and/or operating company Boards, Committees and associated meetings. This will include summoning meetings, preparing agenda, collating papers and ensuring their timely distribution, attending meetings, preparing minutes and follow-up action plans.
- To monitor follow up action taken after the meetings, and maintain a rolling agenda.
- To maintain Board and Committee records including papers, minutes, the indices of reports considered and of delegated authorities.
- To organise annual and extraordinary general meetings.
- Provide complete company secretarial services to Board and in this regard:
- Arrange and coordinate Board meetings.
- Ensure production of agendas, reports and subsequent minutes for meetings of the Board.
- Ensures that proper responses to matters arising from the Board minutes are received.
- Develops and distributes Board packs for Board meetings.
- Takes minutes of Board meetings.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and all Board Committees conduct their business in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory frameworks and associated codes of governance ad practice.
- Attend Executive Management Committee meetings to ensure congruence between the business of EXCO and the business of the Board of Directors.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- Honours Degree in Business/Law/Commerce
- Chartered Institute of Secretaries (CIS) qualification/ CSSA Accreditation
- Member of Chartered Institute of Secretaries or similar professional body will be an advantage
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a Company Secretary or in a similar governance role.
- Proven experience in drafting minutes, interpreting statutes and corporate governance.
- Demonstrated experience in advising Board of Directors on matters of governance, compliance and best practice.
- Experience of working with EXCO and Boards of Directors.
Special proficiency / skills:
- Knowledge of the Company Law
- Knowledge of interpretation of statutes
- Knowledge of Administrative Law
- Computer Literacy
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills and human relations
- Strong planning and organising abilities
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities
The closing date for applications is 15 August 2022. No late applications will be considered.
To apply please email a detailed CV to Vacancies@armscor.co.za
NB: All applicants must indicate the job title and reference number of the position they are applying for in the subject heading.
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a psychometric assessment. In line with Armscor’s commitment to compliance with the Employment Equity Act, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.